Give your child the best start possible, advise Sevenoaks dentists
Children smile up to 400 times a day – and their smiles are powerful! A study called the Smile Back Project by the University of Cambridge revealed that adults smile 13 per cent more frequently when with children than when in the presence of adults or being alone.
It also shows how the condition of our teeth can make a big difference to how often we smile, says the dental team at Mckenzies Dental Surgery in Sevenoaks. The study found a significant correlation between healthy teeth and higher intensity of smiling; study participants who reported better oral health also reported higher levels of self-esteem and life satisfaction.
A smile is one of the most powerful things in the world. It is universally understood and contagious – a smile from one person generates the smile of another, revealed the research.
An important part of looking after our mouths is the bit we do at home. We often remind our patients from across Kent that their teeth will last a lifetime if looked after properly, so teaching children the right brushing techniques is vital.
The oral health message we teach our patients at Mckenzies Dental Surgery in Sevenoaks is:
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes using a fluoride toothpaste*
- Only use a pea-sized blob of toothpaste on your brush
- Spit don’t rinse after brushing (as rinsing washes away the fluoride)
- Make sure you watch children brush their teeth to check they are doing it right
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months
- Visit your dentist regularly so that your teeth remain healthy and strong for life
- Cut down on the amount of sugar and sugary drinks you consume
* Please check that your child’s toothpaste contains between 1,350 and 1,500ppm of fluoride.
The door to our Sevenoaks dental practice is always open to new patients. We look forward to meeting you and your family soon.